Blunderings

10.28.2005

Magic!

Or pretty close to magic anyways:

How to Fold a T-Shirt

In other awesome news, we had Michal Makarewicz as a sub this week at AM. It's always great to get another perspective on your work and on learning animation. Michal was the uber mentor this week and did my class's QA and ecrits in addition to his own class's (crazy!). He does such super-detailed and clear crits! Pete's crits have been great too, but I usually came away from them with more possibilities and less clarity. That's perfect for developing ideas, but I really needed to start getting out of blocking and Michal offered great direction. It covered a huge range of advice and it just all made so much sense. He spotted the parts of my animation I'd started refining already and talked about everything from arcs and overlap to polish in regards to that section. For the sections I still had in blocked mode, he talked more about posing and clarifying the ideas. So much info!! I have a whole page of notes that I actually understand! I'd been kind of apprehensive this whole semester about how to approach re-blocking each week when stuff wasn't working out so well. And there were a few moments when I actually dreaded going back to my work this semester...crappy crappy feeling. But now I'm all excited again, whee!

The QA this week was fantasic too...and 2 hrs long...wow I can't believe he stayed that much extra with us. Michal's earlier in his animation career, having started at Pixar straight out of school 2.5 years ago. He showed us some of his student dialogue tests and they were freaking amazing. He talked about his workflow and mentioned he's a huge fan of the graph editor. This was kind of surprising, but comforting news to me. After Jason Ryan's great workflow walkthrough last semester which emphasized a visual approach rather than a graph editor approach, it's started to seem like that's the way to go as lots of students have picked up on it. I've remained a fan of the control you can tweak out of animation curves in the polish stage all the way through though, so hearing a professional detail its merits again was great. Oh hey, I just remembered that Victor and Michelle Meeker both like the graph editor as well, yay!

Tons of good info this week! I'm ready to roll again. Oh yea, gotta go buy candy for the kiddies.

3 Comments:

  • Ike Feldman, my current mentor, is a fan of the graph editor also....and so am I.

    I have seen this way of folding tshirts too but I am not an ironer, so I can't have off center wrinkles....I like my wrinkles right down the middle thank you.

    By Blogger Rick Blankenship, at 10/29/2005 10:01 AM  

  • Oh man, me and the graph editor do not like each other. I think it is angry that I cheat on it with the dope sheet.

    That is one of the funny things about animation, you can take 10 different animators and put them on a shot and they can all arrive at the end using totally different techniques. Part of the fun!

    By Blogger Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci, at 10/30/2005 4:48 AM  

  • WHAT a COINCIDENCE! Tonight my roomate and I were talking about Smurf p*rn floating around on the Internet. I needed a break from the final polish of the dialogue piece, so I went on the Internet and found that site, which had the Papa Smurf/Smurfette rap.

    And what else did I see? That T-Shirt fold demo! I tried it out and it TOTALLY works!

    By Blogger Kimotion, at 10/30/2005 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home