Somewhere Over the Rainbow!!
Am I online??? Oooh! I'm online again!! Well...I am for the moment at any rate. I realize I've been AWOL for quite a bit and for that I apologize. I swear I have good excuses! Well, not really, but here's a quick summary of what I've been up to: got a new job in early December, pondered it for a bit, accepted it, quit old job, traveled up and down the NY-NC stretch to visit East Coast buddies to make true old promises that I'd visit, moved cross-country to Seattle, started new job. Wheeee!!! Somewhere in there I got two colds (need to buff up my immune system) that still won't go away (bah, colds suck!) and my laptop died. Woe!
So I arrived here last Thursday rather partially unsure of my decision to pick up and move, but I knew I was rotting a bit in NC and that moving to a city would be a good change. NC was nice with the sunroof weather and mellow folks, but I had few friends and family there and was horribly bored in the sub-suburbs...that's what I like to call places where it often takes 40 minutes to traverse 8 miles of potholes home from work and where there are zero gas stations and grocery stores along the way. My only qualm with the change was that I didn't quite want to move clear across the country just yet, but Seattle did sound awesome, the new job offered tons of opportunity, and I'd have been a total fool not take it.
Anyways, I know I've only been here a bit...not even a week yet...but I'm already totally loving the place! Living in a city makes a huge difference. Just looking out the window is a different feel. There's tons to do and I love the air here. It smells good :) Work is incredible too. The job promised smart people and plenty of exciting new stuff, but man, I just started three days ago and I feel so stupid! Hopefully that will twist around into good thing.
The only notes of suckage so far are just unfortunate: this darn cold I can't seem to get rid of and the computer thing. The worst part about the cold is that I think I'm starting to freak out my new team mates with the amount of germs I appear to have. The other downside is that everyone might think I'm super shy or awkward or something since I haven't been talking because of that no-voice-due-to-bad-cold thing. Gah!! Any suggestions there?
The laptop death, on the other hand, proved to be a blessing in a way. When I tried to turn my laptop on the morning after getting here, I was greeted by total hardware failure. It wouldn't even boot to BIOS! I think I then proceeded to freak out completely for awhile over what to do about AM (I know, I'm such a dork...first thing to freak out about being homework and all). Finding internet access for lectures and QAs couldn't be too bad (haha, I'll try again this week...and gah, still can't get enough internet time on a computer with Flash and QT to cruise the campus), but finding a computer with Maya wasn't so likely. Then Mai, a student from Class 3 who's absolutely awesome and super nice, invited yucky-snotball-me over to her place all day Saturday and let me mooch off her computer so I could turn in my assignment last week. It was just great to work with another AM student side-by-side. Go instant feedback! Then today, she lent me a bunch of screwdrivers and helped me figure out how to pry the panels off my dead laptop so I could find out what's wrong. My dear friend Google helped a ton too. I just have to reiterate though...this community's so amazing!!!! Mai rocks!!!!!It makes all the difference in the world to be greeted by such sincere hospitality, especially after moving to a new place. I'd kill all the laptops in the world to hang out with you Mai!
Oh yea, I don't know about the title of this entry. If I'm still awake, it has got to be the Sudafed typing. Wow, how long have they been asking people to fork over ID for cold medicine? Something about these things being cheap ingredients for crystal meth? Wow, should I even post this entry? It's kind of surreal. Acck, whatever, I owe it to anyone who still reads this after a month of random absence. Tra la!
So I arrived here last Thursday rather partially unsure of my decision to pick up and move, but I knew I was rotting a bit in NC and that moving to a city would be a good change. NC was nice with the sunroof weather and mellow folks, but I had few friends and family there and was horribly bored in the sub-suburbs...that's what I like to call places where it often takes 40 minutes to traverse 8 miles of potholes home from work and where there are zero gas stations and grocery stores along the way. My only qualm with the change was that I didn't quite want to move clear across the country just yet, but Seattle did sound awesome, the new job offered tons of opportunity, and I'd have been a total fool not take it.
Anyways, I know I've only been here a bit...not even a week yet...but I'm already totally loving the place! Living in a city makes a huge difference. Just looking out the window is a different feel. There's tons to do and I love the air here. It smells good :) Work is incredible too. The job promised smart people and plenty of exciting new stuff, but man, I just started three days ago and I feel so stupid! Hopefully that will twist around into good thing.
The only notes of suckage so far are just unfortunate: this darn cold I can't seem to get rid of and the computer thing. The worst part about the cold is that I think I'm starting to freak out my new team mates with the amount of germs I appear to have. The other downside is that everyone might think I'm super shy or awkward or something since I haven't been talking because of that no-voice-due-to-bad-cold thing. Gah!! Any suggestions there?
The laptop death, on the other hand, proved to be a blessing in a way. When I tried to turn my laptop on the morning after getting here, I was greeted by total hardware failure. It wouldn't even boot to BIOS! I think I then proceeded to freak out completely for awhile over what to do about AM (I know, I'm such a dork...first thing to freak out about being homework and all). Finding internet access for lectures and QAs couldn't be too bad (haha, I'll try again this week...and gah, still can't get enough internet time on a computer with Flash and QT to cruise the campus), but finding a computer with Maya wasn't so likely. Then Mai, a student from Class 3 who's absolutely awesome and super nice, invited yucky-snotball-me over to her place all day Saturday and let me mooch off her computer so I could turn in my assignment last week. It was just great to work with another AM student side-by-side. Go instant feedback! Then today, she lent me a bunch of screwdrivers and helped me figure out how to pry the panels off my dead laptop so I could find out what's wrong. My dear friend Google helped a ton too. I just have to reiterate though...this community's so amazing!!!! Mai rocks!!!!!It makes all the difference in the world to be greeted by such sincere hospitality, especially after moving to a new place. I'd kill all the laptops in the world to hang out with you Mai!
Oh yea, I don't know about the title of this entry. If I'm still awake, it has got to be the Sudafed typing. Wow, how long have they been asking people to fork over ID for cold medicine? Something about these things being cheap ingredients for crystal meth? Wow, should I even post this entry? It's kind of surreal. Acck, whatever, I owe it to anyone who still reads this after a month of random absence. Tra la!


5 Comments:
Hey Dork! :)
No way! You're a left-coaster now? And big congratulations on the new job! Yay!
My only suggestion for your cold/voice thingy is GSE and extra vitamin C. I don't get sick very often but if I feel a cold coming on, mega C, an aspirin at the onset of scratchy throat and some grapefruit seed extract often cut it off or short. If you want I'll ask my friend who does a lot of theatre about voice problems. Hope you're feelin' better soon.
That's so awesome you hung out with Mai. I think I met Mai in one of those Digital Dailies students have been having. There are other AMers in the area, too aren't there?
DUDE! While I was Christmas shopping I saw this and thought of you! A Spider Vacuum! One design flaw, however...the jar you catch and release the "bug" has a release knob that, for some of us, is dangerously close to the rim where the bug comes out!
Speaking of vacuums, are you really getting one of those Dysons? (I have a theory that guy helped create the AM Community Chat...it sucks you in and never loses suction! :P).
By
kenny r, at 1/19/2006 8:56 AM
Yay! You're not dead! And, cold or not, rock on for getting out of this hell hole. Too bad Seattle law's not supposed to be all that great... Don't suppose Amazon has any need of a plant geneticist/policy geek?
HUGS!
By
Anonymous, at 1/20/2006 2:26 PM
YaaaaY! She's back!
By
Sara Wade, at 1/25/2006 5:24 PM
Hey Irene, How is everything going? Congrats on the move and the job. Where are you working?
Seems like you have your hands full now. Hope to see more of you on AM.
-
By
Mike, at 2/14/2006 5:13 PM
How weird, I was searching for something I wrote online and came across your blog because you have a completely unrelated 'Aja' and 'Ng' so close together...
By
Eaglet, at 4/03/2006 9:18 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home