Blunderings

11.09.2005

AM.3.07 Intro to Dialogue II

Oops, I've been meaning to post these, but whenever I sit down in front of the comp I get sidetracked by sudoku and lose my original purpose.


Psychopath Revision 1


Planning/Blocking

I need to work on better ideas for the second part! I have so much trouble coming up with good ideas. After coming up with one idea and thumbing it out, I think, "ok, I'll shoot some video reference" with the thought that I'll start from there and just keep shooting and acting out the line in different ways till I come up with a whole bunch of ideas I can look at as a springboard for more. Yay! Unfortunately I'm such a crappy actor that I end up just shooting a bajillion different horrible takes of me trying to act out the same one idea and never doing a good job of it. So then I've got tons of bad reference and still just the one idea in my head. Soooo uhhhh, I need to come up with better approaches to brainstorming great acting choices. Actually, there's a thread in the AM forums this week where a bunch of people have posted some excellent pointers on ways to approach this. I need to comb over it again and just really try working at them till I find a way that works for me.

Oh yea, interesting note from Delio's walkthroughs these past two weeks: he uses IK arms! A lot of the AM students have been using IK ~ though most have stuck with FK ~ but I'd yet to find a mentor who used IK arms. Mark, my mentor last semester, was absolutely adamant about using FK since it just flows more naturally and you have greater control over the overlaps prevalent in arm movement. Even on our box push he recommended sticking to FK, though I can't recall the explanation behind that one. I asked Pete about the IK/FK question in our QA just now and his opinion was to stick to FK as well unless the situation really needed the benefits of IK (such as leaning against an unbudging object or throwing hard jab). He reiterated the important point that the way FK works is the way real arms work. It is impossible to animate FK without already dealing directly with lead-and-follow and overlap. With IK, you'd almost have to really fake it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home