Roth vs. Traditional?
It's time that I figured out what the heck to do with my money instead of letting it rot against inflation in my savings account. Well actually, thank goodness I at least switched to an Orange Account last year. That was a good move. They're up to a healthy 3.3% APR now as opposed to Bank of America's measly 0.00000000001-or-something%. 3.3% is enough to wipe out many traditional CDs too, wheeee! If you don't have an Orange Account already, you're missing out. If you don't know what an Orange Account is, you're REALLY missing out. It's only the most awesome savings account ever and you need one. If anyone still needs to open one, I'll send you an invite for $25 free bucks to start off with in your account (plus I get $10 for a referral ^o^). Whee!!!
Ok, so back to my original rambling...Roth IRA vs. Traditional IRA...takers on the topic? This is probably the most useful article I've found on the issue thus far:
http://www.fairmark.com/rothira/rothvemp.htm
I've heard so much blazing extreme stuff back and forth about both that I've no idea which is the better way to go between moments of uninformed conviction. As far as I can tell, the Roth IRA has oodles of benefits and no real disadvantages that matter to someone who's nowhere near retirement. I mean, if you expect to make money on your investments, why would you want to be taxed on the hopefully-huge amount it grows into in the future rather than on the smaller amount you invest now? Tax-free earnings! Why would you even need to think about it? But then when I went down to my happy Bank of America and asked to open an account, the financial advisor looked at me blankly and said "Don't you have an employer 401K? Why would you want to open a Roth?" I know it's a great idea to bring your 401K up to the employer match, but beyond, why wouldn't I want to open a Roth while I can qualify for one? But I couldn't effectively answer his question so I went home. Over the next few days, I asked a bunch of people at work about the options, but no one really had much of an idea.
So due to lack of confidence in my understanding of this mess, I ended up just doing nothing. I didn't max out my 401K or open a Roth IRA. And today I realized that that all happened over a year ago and that that was probably the dumbest of the choices I could have made. So back to the original question...Roth vs. Traditional? Advice?
Ok, so back to my original rambling...Roth IRA vs. Traditional IRA...takers on the topic? This is probably the most useful article I've found on the issue thus far:
http://www.fairmark.com/rothira/rothvemp.htm
I've heard so much blazing extreme stuff back and forth about both that I've no idea which is the better way to go between moments of uninformed conviction. As far as I can tell, the Roth IRA has oodles of benefits and no real disadvantages that matter to someone who's nowhere near retirement. I mean, if you expect to make money on your investments, why would you want to be taxed on the hopefully-huge amount it grows into in the future rather than on the smaller amount you invest now? Tax-free earnings! Why would you even need to think about it? But then when I went down to my happy Bank of America and asked to open an account, the financial advisor looked at me blankly and said "Don't you have an employer 401K? Why would you want to open a Roth?" I know it's a great idea to bring your 401K up to the employer match, but beyond, why wouldn't I want to open a Roth while I can qualify for one? But I couldn't effectively answer his question so I went home. Over the next few days, I asked a bunch of people at work about the options, but no one really had much of an idea.
So due to lack of confidence in my understanding of this mess, I ended up just doing nothing. I didn't max out my 401K or open a Roth IRA. And today I realized that that all happened over a year ago and that that was probably the dumbest of the choices I could have made. So back to the original question...Roth vs. Traditional? Advice?


3 Comments:
Actually, that's not such a difficult financial problem to solve. You can withdraw from a Roth without penalty (not sure about the Traditional) for a first home :) Thanks for the advice.
By
eneries, at 9/15/2005 3:50 PM
Ahhhh, that's interesting. Though I still don't know a thing about investing and am hesitant to leap into unknown territory without little steps first. I guess I could just start with the Roth and use that to learn some about investing?
By
eneries, at 9/16/2005 12:22 PM
Hey Irene.
Kudos for having an Orange Account! Woo! I got mine quite a while ago and the rate is getting back up there again. With credit card APRs like 7-14% or more why aren't there any banks that will give me at least 7%?! Oh well.
if you expect you be in a LOWER tax bracket when you retire, go trad, otherwise Roth...that's the advice I always hear or read about on the matter. Also, even if there's not much in the account if you were to use the 5-year-no penalty-to-buy-a-home(or-pay-for-education-if-I-remember-right) rule, a few thousand extra for downpayment is better than ZERO.
Hey, if you're a little weary of investing all on your own check out http://www.fool.com/ and http://www.sharebuilder.com if you wanna start small. :)
By
kenny r, at 9/28/2005 6:04 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home