AM.2.00 Already?!
Class 2 @ AnimationMentor.com officially started up today and I've finally kicked my lazy self and resolved to blog here like I meant to start doing months ago. Here's to yet another view into the crazy world of AnimationMentor.com!
The first term was amazing. I don't think I've seen such motivation or had the honor of being part of such a mutually-inspiring community in...wow...simply far too long. So Saturday, I was filling out my end-of-term mentor evaluation form and jotting down my crits and thanks online when it finally hit me how awesome an experience this has already been. Last term I had the one and only Victor Navone as my animation mentor. I'd seen Victor's short, Alien Song, a couple years back so of course I could hardly believe it when I received my first mentor assignment back in March. I knew I was lucky, but it didn't fully hit me how grateful I was till Saturday when I reflected on how much I learned this semester. Victor's one of those awesome mentors who frame-by-frame through every moment you invested into your animation and shows you exactly what he's talking about. And he's got a freak sense of humor to complement it all. Hey, I don't mean to turn this into a Victor-worshipping moment, but I'd like to give out my due thanks. Any of you reading this who are a part of AM, you know what I'm talking about. And if you have him as a mentor now, you're in for a ride. His e-critiques never fail to be simultaneously enlightening and hilarious. So much so that I'm practically having butterflies now about switching mentors!
Actually, I just got my new mentor assignment over the weekend ~ Mark Behm!
He's got great illustrations and style. This'll be fun having a mentor with a completely different background than Victor ~ whoo hooo! Hahaha, I suppose the only reason I have butterflies is because I've been spoiled in my last class. Though I guess I should feel 100% excited knowing the fact that all the other mentees at AM feel the same way. When's the last time everyone's been so engrossed in school to wish it would go on indefinitely? Hahaha, simply an incredible place.
Oops, it's almost 11pm now and we're having our first Global Q&A for the Summer with Bobby, Shawn, and Carlos. So I'd better finish up and close my first AM post here. All the folks over at AM are great, mentors and students, alike. The classmates are what the place even better than it already is. The amount of growth and feedback you can witness there feels unlimited and that aura alone is inspirational. If you happened upon this blogspot via a google search on learning animation, surmising about the place, apply!!! A friend pointed me to AM (Thanks Aja! Life would be so different and boring without that one email) three days before the application deadline before the first class of students started. Knowing nothing about it the first time I visited, all I saw was that it's mission seemed to speak perfectly to my aspirations. So I went for it. Never looked back :)
The first term was amazing. I don't think I've seen such motivation or had the honor of being part of such a mutually-inspiring community in...wow...simply far too long. So Saturday, I was filling out my end-of-term mentor evaluation form and jotting down my crits and thanks online when it finally hit me how awesome an experience this has already been. Last term I had the one and only Victor Navone as my animation mentor. I'd seen Victor's short, Alien Song, a couple years back so of course I could hardly believe it when I received my first mentor assignment back in March. I knew I was lucky, but it didn't fully hit me how grateful I was till Saturday when I reflected on how much I learned this semester. Victor's one of those awesome mentors who frame-by-frame through every moment you invested into your animation and shows you exactly what he's talking about. And he's got a freak sense of humor to complement it all. Hey, I don't mean to turn this into a Victor-worshipping moment, but I'd like to give out my due thanks. Any of you reading this who are a part of AM, you know what I'm talking about. And if you have him as a mentor now, you're in for a ride. His e-critiques never fail to be simultaneously enlightening and hilarious. So much so that I'm practically having butterflies now about switching mentors!
Actually, I just got my new mentor assignment over the weekend ~ Mark Behm!
[BIO] Mark has been working in the animation industy for over 8 years. After a childhood of studying stop motion and traditional animation and a few years as an illustrator, he set off into the world of 3d animation. He started out focusing on character work in his local NYC commercial market, then onto "321:Penguins" at Big Idea Productions, "Robots" at Blue Sky Studios and is now at DNA Productions working on "Ant Bully." Stop by www.markbehm.com to see examples of his animation and other artwork.
He's got great illustrations and style. This'll be fun having a mentor with a completely different background than Victor ~ whoo hooo! Hahaha, I suppose the only reason I have butterflies is because I've been spoiled in my last class. Though I guess I should feel 100% excited knowing the fact that all the other mentees at AM feel the same way. When's the last time everyone's been so engrossed in school to wish it would go on indefinitely? Hahaha, simply an incredible place.
Oops, it's almost 11pm now and we're having our first Global Q&A for the Summer with Bobby, Shawn, and Carlos. So I'd better finish up and close my first AM post here. All the folks over at AM are great, mentors and students, alike. The classmates are what the place even better than it already is. The amount of growth and feedback you can witness there feels unlimited and that aura alone is inspirational. If you happened upon this blogspot via a google search on learning animation, surmising about the place, apply!!! A friend pointed me to AM (Thanks Aja! Life would be so different and boring without that one email) three days before the application deadline before the first class of students started. Knowing nothing about it the first time I visited, all I saw was that it's mission seemed to speak perfectly to my aspirations. So I went for it. Never looked back :)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home